The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program designed specifically for families who cannot afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many carriers and Internet providers in the US have stuck to the program and offered their customers discounts on various services.
Boost Mobile announced today that it has launched its own Emergency Broadband Benefit program. It is planned to give qualified customers access to free high-speed mobile internet via two connectivity options.
The first option is the mobile phone, as Boost Mobile customers have 35 GB / month of free data and unlimited conversation and text options on a smartphone. Qualified customers can either bring their own device or purchase one from the Boost Mobile website or their local retail location.
The alternative would be Boost’s mobile hotspot option. Customers can purchase a mobile hotspot for a one-time cost of $ 25 and receive 35 GB / month of high-speed broadband. Boost Mobile states that the hotspot allows up to 8 devices to be connected at the same time and is better for home use or families where multiple members need internet access.
A household is eligible if a household member meets one of the following criteria:
- Has an income at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines or participates in certain relief programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and discounted school feeding program or school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Commission in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant in the current award year;
- Since February 29, 2020, there has been a significant loss of income due to job loss or vacation, and the household had a total income of $ 99,000 or less for single applicants and $ 198,000 for joint applicants in 2020. or
- Meets eligibility criteria for a participating vendor’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Those who believe they are eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit program can visit Boost Mobile website or its local Boost retail location to apply for the program and take advantage of the plan.